The Wedding Guide of Central Virginia



Special Advertisements

Name Change

March 3, 2016 (0) Comments

Name Change

What’s in your new last name may be less important to you right after the wedding than how to get it officially changed. The process is a bit lengthier than you might anticipate, but we are here to help. Here is how to get a jump on switching your maiden name to your married name once you have said “I Do.”

Marriage License
This is the first piece to officially have your new name on it. Without this document, changing your name on other forms is more difficult. So get this one done and make sure it is correct!

Driver’s License
This is your primary form of ID. Simply visit your DMV with your marriage license, old driver’s license and another form of identification in hand. While you’re there, you might as well change your car title and registration.

Social Security Card
You can download a replacement application form from Fill it out and mail it in to the supplied address or 
take it to your local Social Security office. Processing can only be done with your original documents in your old and new name.

This changes automatically when you get a new Social Security card.

Visit to download your Passport Amendment/Validation Application, Form DS-19. Fill it out and send it to your nearest passport agency (view the list of agency addresses on the same site). Also, send certified documentation of your name change and your current, valid passport. It will be amended and returned to you.

Voter Registration
Call your local registrar’s office and have them send or fax you a name change form. Ask what form of proof is needed (it varies from state to state).

Bank, employment/payroll, insurance, hospitals, credit cards, post office, etc.
Type up a letter with the proper information. (Old/new name, account number, social security number, etc.) and include a copy of your marriage certificate. All changes are free.

Related Posts